You can merge cells in excel when you may need to place your title in the center of a spreadsheet.
When you merge multiple cells on excel spreadsheet, the contents of the upper-left cell for left-to-right languages, or the upper-right cell for right-to-left languages appear in the merged cell. The contents of the other cells that you merge are deleted.
How to merge cells in Excel
- Select a range of cells you want to merge.
- Click Home > Merge & Center.
- If merge cells in Excel spreadsheet without centering, click the arrow next to Merge & Center, and then click Merge Across or Merge Cells.
How to splits merge cells in Excel?
- Select the merged cell you want to unmerge.
- Click Home > Merge and Center.
- You can also click the arrow next to Merge and Center, and then click Unmerge Cells.
Source: Office Support